Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Reunion with Mr. Takeo Kawai











With the help of our friend Nobuko, we were able to go to Mr. Takeo Kawai's home for tea. This was a memorable reunion for me, because I met him when I was in the Fulbright Program in 1997. I had been walking to Tama High School in Kawasaki with my teacher group, when I stopped to observe a gentleman making tatami mats in his shop. In Japan, tatami is a grass used as flooring in traditional Japanese rooms, called tatami rooms.
So, this gentleman, Mr. Kawai, invited me into his shop and home to meet his wife. They do not speak English, but Mr. Kawai and I have kept correspondence for nearly 13 years. So you see, this was a very special day, and we consider it a miracle that we actually would see eachother again as a result of a chance meeting long ago. Today, Mr. Kawai was waiting for us outside his shop, snapping pictures with his camera as we walked down the street. He led us through his shop and into his home, where his wife was waiting for us. He showed Tony, Sophia, Nobuko, and I all the correspondence and pictures I sent him over the course of 13 years. He also is a high- ranking leader in the Boy Scouts of Japan. He showed us his home and honored us with collectible memorabilia of the Boy Scouts and many other gifts. His lovely wife kindly served us tea and sweets, and we learned that she is a certified chef! Through Nobuko's interpretation, we learned that over the years, Mr. and Mrs. Kawai have generously hosted tatami mat apprentices in their home. We regret that we could not meet their children and grandchildren, especially Yoshinori, his younger son who helped arrange the meeting today. Thank you very much to Mr. and Mrs. Kawai for your kindness and hospitality today. We hope to meet again someday! And a huge thank you to Nobuko Suga for making the reunion possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment